Status: Needs Review


strong. Our gait on level ice is about two and a half
miles per hour.”

January 12th we get the first comment from Knight on
the mistake in outfitting which we pointed out (ante) in
connection with the entry of January 8. “This is what
we have planned to do. We will go back to camp and
lighten the sled load as much as possible [so as to in-
crease traveling speed and decrease the danger of break-
ing the sled] and Crawford and Galle will start south and
make as much time as they possibly can. It will be im-
possible for all of us to stay at the main camp, for there
is just enough grub there for three people (hard bread,
blubber and what foxes are caught) to last until the
seals and birds come. I would like to make this trip, but
I really do not feel able. This is just a rough outline of
our plans; more later. Crawford has several of his
fingertips frozen badly and they give him considerable
pain, but nothing serious. A fairly fresh bear track seen
going east.”

January 13th: “Did not move to-day. Crawford
took a walk out to the lead, but no chance for sealing.
Cloudy, misty, light breeze from the east.”

January 14th: “Stayed in camp. Blowing a fresh
breeze from the west. Cloudy.”

January 15th: “Broke camp at 9 A.M. and started
ashore, bound for the main camp. About half a mile
offshore a gale with drifting snow from the north hit us
in the face and was extremely unpleasant. We got to the
beach and started west, but the wind shifted to northwest
nearly in our faces. Traveled until about 12:30 through
very soft snow, making poor time, and the wind became
so bad that we decided to go ashore and camp. Crawford
and I each froze our faces badly, and, as I am rather un-

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page