Status: Indexed

- 33 -

south coast and north along the east coast to the northeast corner of the
island, visiting the two camps occupied by the Karluk crew in 1914,
Rodger's Harbor and Waring Point. Apart from natural weathering, he found
everything as our men abandoned it. The tents had been left standing at
Waring Point but had naturally collapsed since.

On this journey Knight encountered one of the largest
streams of the island, Skeleton River. On the way north he was able to cross
it by an ice bridge just outside the mouth, but when he came back he found
that this had melted. Thinking that he might find a shallow place somewhere
inland, Knight traveled west along the north bank of the stream seven hours
but found no ford. "Occasionally I tried likely looking places for a crossing
and, although I found places that I do not think were more than shoulder
deep, the current was so rapid that to keep ones footing was impossible.
Finally I decided to swim the river, so, putting my kodak, films, matches,
etc., in a pair of water boots, across we went. I did not put my trusty
watch in the water boots. It stopped then and I lost track of the time.
After traveling about five hours more through snow, mud and water, I reached
the campsite at Rodger's Harbor. Had a sleep and rest, then went to the old
trapping camp, had another sleep, and reached home at 7 P.M. the evening of
July 12th, footsore and weary."

On various other journeys inland the party frequently
discovered fossil ivory, occasionally the tusks of mammoth but more often
of walrus.

By the latter part of July sealing conditions were very
bad. Most of the ice was in constant motion and what was left of the land floe
was covered with puddles of water. Under such conditions the best hunter may
be excused for not trying or for failing when he does try. When the entry for
July 27th tells us that under such conditions Maurer secured three seals, we

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page