- Dates: Format dates in full, such as e.g. 18 September 1893
- Names: If the names of multiple individuals are listed on separate lines, please separate them with commas. Add a space between initials, but do not include full stops between initials.
- Addresses: Please separate parts of addresses with commas, e.g. John Smith, 10 Bond Street, London. Do not include full stops in post codes, they should be transcribed as 'NW' or 'SE'.
- Spelling: Use original spelling. If the meaning is not clear, add modern spelling in square brackets following original spelling
- Abbreviation: Do not expand abbreviations or ampersands (&).
- Capitalization: Modernize for readability
- Punctuation: Only add commas in order to separate names of individuals or parts of addresses, making the meaning clear. Do not add additional apostrophes.
- Illegible text: Indicate illegible readings in single square brackets:
- Measuring sample images: Please estimate the height and width of the image sample based on the ruler or grid provided (each square on the grid is 1cm). If this cannot be estimated, please leave the fields blank.