Status: Needs Review


tions through several years of association. The families
of Crawford and Galle I knew were considerably worried.

But while no trip was to be made to the mainland the
winter 1921-22, our plans left the matter optional for
1922-23. This was the second year on the island and
homesickness might have developed. Crawford in par-
ticular would be anxious to get out so as to continue his
university studies. They were to discuss the situation
thoroughly on the island and come to an agreement. My
general urging had been that even the second winter they
should all remain through, waiting for the ship that was
practically certain to come the second summer. One
year in ten or so may be expected to keep a ship out, but
two bad seasons, one following the other, were unlikely.
But if it seemed that certain information must be sent to
me or that there were other adequate reasons for leaving
the island, then the party might make their own decision.
Two of them might then come across to Siberia and might
send hired messengers out with mail from there, remain-
ing themselves with some trader south of Wrangel till
navigation opened, or returning to the island; or they
might make the seven-hundred-mile journey to Bering
Straits, as they thought best. The other two would
remain on the island until a ship came in 1923. The
danger of crossing was greater than that of staying on the
island but, since all of us considered the journey to the
Siberian mainland a comparatively simple one, it is diffi-
cult to say now whether we weighed the danger at all
in our planning.

Although somewhat difficult and expensive, a journey
by our men from Wrangel Island to the outside world
could have been undertaken any time between January
and April with the purpose of reaching “civilization” a

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page