Status: Needs Review


were to decide whether they would all remain there in the expec-
tation of a ship the summer 1923 or whether two would remain
while the other two crossed by sledge to Siberia and Nome to
telegraph their report to me and ask for instructions - we
had been confident that by then the Canadian government would
have taken the enterprise off our hands.

On September 18, 1922, Knight writes: "All hands
have about given up hopes for a ship this year", and there follows
logically the entry for September 22: "Crawford and I are start-
ing to figure on a trip across the ice to Siberia next spring and
thence to the nearest wireless station, very likely Nome, but
possibly Andy Bay south of East Cape. We have only five dogs,
but good ones; and a rather rickety sled which I intend to
overhaul as soon as we move to our new winter camp. We will
have another opportunity to demonstrate 'living off the country'
which has never failed yet as far as the Stefansson expeditions
are concerned."

The same situation is stated in a letter addressed
to me by Allan Crawford, which is the only other record of the same
plan that has been saved from the general tragic destraction.
Crawford's letter is dated January 7, 1923: "My decision to
leave here (Wrangell Island) was made last year with advice of
Knight and on consideration of orders received from you (Stefans-
son) and the desirability of giving you news. In fact, as early
as last spring (1922) I considered it." This means that the plan
had been in the minds if not on the lips of the party four or

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page