EXPLANATION OF THE MAP.
its vicinity. The town lies at the foot of the mountain, being
built upon an alluvial delta formed by the confluence of two
streams, named the Matai and the Brook Street Creek, extend-
ing also up their valleys and along the hill slopes that face the
harbour. An excellent road leads from Nelson to the south
through the luxuriant fields and meadows which bedeck the
agricultural districts of the Waimea and Waiiti plains. On
these fruitful alluvial flats are to be seen farm after farm, while
many villages are rapidly springing into existence. Since 1861,
Nelson has possessed a railway, being the first constructed in
New Zealand. It is the work of the Dun Mountain Company,
for the purpose of developing the chrome mines, and leads from
the harbour through the town and up the Brook Street valley.
The existence of the harbour of Nelson is due to a most
singular boulder bank which extends along the coast for eight
miles, forming a natural dam, behind which there extends a
narrow and shallow arm of the sea, which deepens towards the
south, where it communicates with Blind Bay, and forms a
small but safe harbour.
CREIGHTON AND SCALES, PRINTERS, O'CONNELL-STREET, AUCKLAND.
Notes and Questions
Nobody has written a note for this page yet
Please sign in to write a note for this page